International English Language Testing System (IELTS, pronounced ielts) is a test of English language proficiency. It is jointly managed by University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations, British Council and IDP Education Australia. Candidates may choose either the Academic Module or the General Training Module:
• The Academic Module is intended for those who wish to enrol in universities and other institutions of higher education.
• The General Training Module is intended for those planning to undertake non-academic training or to gain work experience, or for immigration purposes.
IELTS is accepted by most Australian, British, Canadian, Irish, New Zealand and South African academic institutions, by an increasing number of academic institutions in the USA, and by various professional organizations. It is also a requirement for migration to Australia and Canada.
The IELTS incorporates the following features:
• A variety of accents and writing styles are presented in text materials in order to minimize linguistic bias. The IELTS is considered more authoritative than TOEFL by some people and organizations (especially the ones outside the United States).
• IELTS tests the ability to listen, read, write, and speak in English.
• Band scores are used for each language sub-skill (Listening, Reading, Writing, and Speaking). The Band Scale ranges from 1 (“Non User”) to 9 (“Expert User”).
IELTS is scored on a nine-band scale. Each Band corresponds to different English competence. The Band Scores are in either whole or half Bands. The nine bands are described as such:
• 9 Expert User
Has fully operational command of the language: appropriate, accurate and fluent with complete understanding. • READING – 3 to 4 passages and 36 to 56 questions (60 – 80 minutes) Reading Section (Score of: 0–30)
• 8 Very Good User
Has fully operational command of the language with only occasional unsystematic inaccuracies and inappropriacies. Misunderstandings may occur in unfamiliar situations. Handles complex detailed argumentation well.
• 7 Good User
Has operational command of the language, though with occasional inaccuracies, inappropriacies and misunderstandings in some situations. Generally handles complex language well and understands detailed reasoning.
• 6 Competent User
• 5 Modest User
Has partial command of the language, coping with overall meaning in most situations, though is likely to make many mistakes. Should be able to handle basic communication in own field.
• 4 Limited User
Basic competence is limited to familiar situations. Has a frequent problem in use of complex language.
• 3 Extremely Limited User
Conveys and understands only general meaning in very familiar situations. Frequent breakdowns in communication occur.
• 2 Intermittent User
No real communication is possible except for the most basic information using isolated words or short formulae in familiar situations and to meet immediate needs. Has great difficulty understanding spoken and written English.
• 1 Non User
Essentially has no ability to use the language beyond possibly a few isolated words.
• 0 Did not attempt
No assessable information provided. Candidate may have failed to sit for the exam.
Countries which accept IELTS score
IELTS has more than 800 test centers and locations in over 130 countries. Top countries are Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Canada, USA, etc.
Results are reported as Band scores, on a scale from 1 (the lowest) to 9 (the highest). Candidates receive an overall band score as well as individual scores for each test component (Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking).
Top universities accepting IELTS score in U.S.A
Recently US Universities started accepting IELTS Score. If you have taken IELTS already, you are not required to take TOEFL; you can still apply with IELTS score. But, IELTS or TOEFL is mandatory.
• Boise State University
• Brandeis University
• Ball State University
• Hawaii Pacific University
• Auburn University, Auburn
• California State University, Fresno
• Columbia University
• California Institute of Technology
• Central Michigan University
• Case Western Reserve University
Top universities accepting IELTS score in New Zealand
• Auckland University of Technology
• Christchurch Polytechnic Institution of Technology
• Lincoln University
• Massey University
• New Zealand School of Travel & Tourism
• Pacific International Hotel Management School
• Queenstown Resort College
• Southern Institute of Technology
• University of Auckland
• Victoria University of Wellington
• Wellington Institute of Technology
Careers N Options Services Pvt. Ltd. is a Member of the British Council IELTS Partnership Programme and the IELTS Registration Centre for British Council. You can visit us and register at no extra cost. The detailed information about registering for the IELTS can be found at www.britishcouncil.org. IELTS is offered on specific days of the year. One may access the whole schedule which can vary depending on the country by following the given link www.ielts.org or by contacting us on 7666377377 or 022 320 90969. IELTS can be taken unlimited number of times. IELTS score will be valid for 2 years after from the date the test was taken.